Pontifex: A murky pool of ideas

Imagine this:

  1. A powerful church that rules the realm with an iron fist, protecting the common folk from the chaotic Wretches of the Old Dead Gods, but in return exercising absolute control over the population with crushing tithes and a corrupt hierarchy.
  2. A network of small, secret cults, all at odds with each other, but forced to work together, or be blasted into homogeneity and obscurity by the hand of the church.
  3. Countless ruins, dungeons, and castles left behind from the time of the Old Dead Gods.
  4. The adventurers of the realm, who seek glory, gold, power, and knowledge, all the while navigating the treacherous magiks and monsters that block their path.

Its name:

PONTIFEX



I hope to create a campaign setting that is OSR-compatible out of these ideas. All of those ideas above sound really cool to me, so I hope I don't fuck it up.

I plan on fleshing out the setting and releasing it on this blog for free. As time goes on I will release snippets of what I'm working on. I hope you find any of what I write entertaining or useful.

Comments